Council, Inc.

Addiction Resource 


Questions and Facts Regarding Pregnancy and Addiction

Q: How can I get insurance?

A: If you do not carry private medical insurance, you may be eligible to apply for BadgerCare+. BadgerCare, also referred to as state insurance, is available to many pregnant women.  Applications can be completed online, at www.access.wisconsin.govYou can also call the Moraine Lakes Consortium at 1.888.446.1239. You can also visit HealthCare.gov to access information about purchasing your own insurance policy through the Marketplace. 

Q: How can I find a doctor?

A: If you have private insurance, or enroll in BadgerCare, you can call your insurance to get a list of in-network providers in your area. This will include family medicine doctors, OB/GYN's, and certified nurse midwives.  You always have the freedom to choose your own medical provider, and should find someone with whom you are comfortable.  Just because you select a doctor and have an initial visit with them, does not mean you have to continue seeing them if you are uncomfortable for any reason. 

Q: Is prenatal care important?
A: Yes, prenatal care is important for both you and your baby. Regular medical care can help prevent pregnancy complications, focuses on nutrition during your pregnancy, reduces the infant's risk of complications, and helps ensure that any questions you have are answered. Early prenatal care will help you and your care provider to determine the best plan for both you and your baby in the coming months. It is very important that you provide honest and truthful information to your healthcare provider, including full disclosure of any drugs (prescribed or not prescribed) or alcohol. Even though it can be hard, being honest will help them provide you the best care possible, and ensure they meet the needs of your unborn baby.

Q: What should I tell my Doctor/Midwife?

A: Doctors, midwives and other medical providers  are there to help you and your baby be as healthy as possible.  They need to know all aspects of your medical history, including any prescribed or over the counter medications you are taking, drugs you are using, and or alcohol you are drinking. In order to help you and your baby be as healthy as possible, they need complete information and need to understand the challenges you may be facing.  It is important to know that the best thing you can do for your baby is seek help. Your medical providers will then work with you to provide the support you and your baby need.

Q: What is continuing to use alcohol and drugs doing to my baby?

A: Continuing to use and abuse alcohol and/or drugs puts both you and your baby at risk.  Use of drugs and or alcohol during pregnancy is very stressful for yourself and for your baby.  It is very important that you talk with a medical provider to ensure the best health for yourself and your unborn baby. If you are seeking more information on drug or alcohol use during pregnancy, please visit this page.

Q: What will happen at the birth, and during the hospital stay, to my baby and myself?
A: Seeking care from your doctor or midwife will provide the best possible outcome
for you and your baby.  There is no way to predict what will happen at the birth of
your baby and during the hospital stay.  Working with your medical provider
throughout your pregnancy will allow them to work with you to make plans that
ensure the best possible outcomes.

Q: Will my child be taken away?
A: All efforts will be made to ensure that your baby stays in your care.  The primary
role for Child Protective Services is to assure all children's safety.  That is often
accomplished by providing support and services to parents so they can provide a safe,
nurturing home for their children.  When contacted about a mom and baby in your
situation, the department will work with you to get you the support and or treatment
​that you need, in order to be the best parent you can be.  All efforts are exhausted to have children remain in the care of their parents.  There are situations that are unsafe for children, and they need to temporarily be cared for by relatives or alternate caregivers.  In those circumstances, the department continues to work with the parents to safely reunite with their child.


Help for dealing with pregnancy and addiction